007 – Hygiene Hypothesis, Microbiome, Dirt Cure & Sleep with Maya Shetreat
Dr Maya Shetreat, M.D is a board certified neurologist, herbalist, urban farmer and author of The Dirt Cure which has been praised by The New York Times. She has been featured in the New York Times, The Telegraph, NPR, Sky News and The Dr. Oz Show. Dr. Maya is the founder of the Terrain Institute, where she teaches Terrain Medicine™, earth-based programs for transformational healing. She works and studies with several teachers of spiritual work and has worked and studied with indigenous communities, teachers and healers in the jungles and mountains of Ecuador.She is a lifelong student of ethnobotany, plant healing, and the sacred. She guides others to connect to their spiritual self, be true to who they are and achieve that potent power which lies within them. She is a wife, a mother, spiritual seeker and practicing neurologist.
We are talking with Dr Maya about hygiene hypothesis, microbiome, dirt cure and sleep. This episode is filled with great information from a doctor as well as a mother. If you struggle with your child’s health or your own, this is the episode that you need. We are so excited to have her with us today. This episode is also great for you if you have a child who keeps getting sick all the time, or if you succumb to infections all the time. Is your poor sleep also contributing to low immune function? What does the health of your microbiome have to do with your sleep? This is a show that every parent should listen to!
This episode shatters the horrendous aspect of gaslighting a mother for having instincts about her child. Its time to listen to your inner voice and be the best champion for you and your child.
In this episode, we dive into:
“Hygiene Hypothesis, Dirt Cure, Microbiome and Sleep”
- Dr Maya’s story of being ignored by the medical fraternity in spite of being a doctor herself and how that led to her authoring the brilliant book, The Dirt Cure
- What is the hygiene hypothesis, the microbiome and the dirt cure?
- If there is a history of excessive antibiotic usage and antacid usage, the microbiome has less diversity and less bacteria. This does put immunity at some risk. Why are we seeing so much of this?
- What is happening within the microbiome of someone who is hyper clean versus someone who has a robust microbiome?
- What are some of the sleep challenges that you are witnessing today? Is this linked to the microbiome?
- Dr Maya’s work is the intersection between cutting edge science as a board certified Paediatric Neurologist and a fascination for Earth medicine and everything magical and symbolic. How does she bring in both these approaches into looking at someone with microbiome dysbiosis, sleep challenges and neurological impact.
- How can someone heal from the inside out with the dirt cure?
- What is her personal practice of earth medicine?
For more on Dr Maya, you can follow her:
-For more on Deepa, The Sleep Whisperer, be sure to follow her on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/ohahealth/ and on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ohahealth/ and you can also mail Deepa at firstname.lastname@example.org or find her at www.ohahealth.com