015 – Sex Reassignment Surgery & Sleep among Transgenders
This episode is packed with deep personal information and profoundly sensitive matter that will make you have immense gratitude for your life in every way.
In this episode, we dive into:
“Sex Reassignment Surgery & Sleep Challenges among Transgenders and Queers”
- Her story and the path that brought her to where she is today, involving acceptance, path and challenges of the journey.
- The journey of self discovery very early on and fighting for who she is.
- Small town to big discoveries, and psychology to spirituality?
- How did She make the brave decision to get Sex Reassignment Surgery all by herself? How is this surgery like rebirth?
- What is the Sex Reassignment Surgery journey? What actually happens and what did Shilok feel physiologically and psychologically through the process? What were the emotions that she went through? How do nutrients play a role in all this?
- How do you heal your body through this major transformation?
- In the process of Sex Reassignment Surgery from male to female, some research has found connections with quality of sleep, increased snoring and daytime sleepiness as a result of the changes in testosterone, estradiol or progesterone. What was her response through this process? What are the connections between hormone changes and sleep quality?
- Transgender medicine is a growing field with complex patients and limited evidence-based guidance. Androgens and estrogen influence sleep and respiratory stability regardless of sex, and the effect of doses and formulations used in gender transition is unclear. She talks to us about this complexity and uniqueness in each person.
- Sleep can be very supportive to the Sex Reassignment Surgery journey, so if those struggling with these challenges can be clinically diagnosed and supported, it can actually help the transitional journey. What’s Shilok’s routine in the evening which helps her wind down and sleep better?
- Is there a practice that she includes into her life which improves her resilience to stress?
- When it comes to sleep during the Sex Reassignment Surgery journey, She shares her personal recommendations for individuals to support themselves better.